I love to cook and I love to eat good food.  Alas, the fact that I work 9-5 means that I can't do either as much as I would like, and like many I am often stuck at my desk during my lunch "hour".  My solution is to try to bring my lunch to work as much as I can.  This is my collection of recipes, all made quickly the night before (either as lunch or as dinner with leftovers that can be taken in).  Happy eating.

Sunday 19 October 2008

Southeast Asian cole slaw

This slaw is great for using up cabbage or other crunchy vegetables.  The dressing is incredibly flavorful and the whole thing improves by refrigerating overnight.  This also slightly "cooks" the cabbage, making it less bitter.  The dressing makes enough for two servings, but is easy to scale up or down.  The amount of vegetables can vary by how much you would like to make.  I like to add the beans for some protein, and the purple adzuki beans look so pretty with the rest of the ingredients.

Salad:
1 C. Shredded red cabbage
1 C. Shredded white or green cabbage
1/2 C. Julienneed carrots
1 C. Adzuki beans

Dressing:
1 garlic clove, minced
½ inch knob ginger, peeled and minced
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
2 T. smooth peanut butter
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 T. neutral tasting oil
2 T. soy sauce
1 T. rice wine vinegar (or more to taste)
1 Tsp. fish sauce (optional)
Coriander

Combine dressing ingredients.  If too thick, add more soy sauce or vinegar (or even a splash of water) according to taste.  Mix with vegetables.  Let stand at least 30 minutes or overnight.

Serves 2

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin