I love to cook and I love to eat good food.  Alas, the fact that I work 9-5 means that I can't do either as much as I would like, and like many I am often stuck at my desk during my lunch "hour".  My solution is to try to bring my lunch to work as much as I can.  This is my collection of recipes, all made quickly the night before (either as lunch or as dinner with leftovers that can be taken in).  Happy eating.

Sunday 26 October 2008

Granola


Though this is Working Lunch, I also have a working breakfast almost every day. The sad fact is that if I ate breakfast at home, I would not only be hungry again by 10:00, necessitating two working lunches, but I leave early enough that I would also have to eat at an hour when I can barely walk straight, let alone chew. Therefore I usually have my breakfast when I get in to work, and it almost always centers around granola. I either have it as cereal or over yogurt, but it's packed full of dried fruit, nuts, seeds, and no added fat (just a little honey). I can't stand muesli, the raw version of granola, so I make mine very crunchy. If you like the same, you'll want to live on the edge and bake yours until it's deeply golden but not quite burned. If you want more or larger clumps of oats, add some more honey or try using set honey instead of runny honey.

4 C. whole rolled oats
2 C. nuts and seeds (My proportions are usually 1/3 C. each sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, linseeds; 1/3 C. each slivered almonds, chopped cashews, chopped walnuts. I have also used brazil nuts, whole almonds, and pecans to great effect.)
1/3 C. honey
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 C. dried fruit (I like 1/2 C. each chopped cranberries, chopped apricots, and golden raisins)

Mix oats, nuts and seeds, honey and cinnamon in a large baking tray. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, then turn the mixture over so the bottom layers cook evenly. Bake for another 15 minutes or so, checking and stirring every 5 minutes to make sure it is not burning. When the mixture is as browned as you like, remove from oven and stir in the dried fruit. Leave it to cool in the pan. The mixture will crisp up as it cools.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin