I love to cook and I love to eat good food.  Alas, the fact that I work 9-5 means that I can't do either as much as I would like, and like many I am often stuck at my desk during my lunch "hour".  My solution is to try to bring my lunch to work as much as I can.  This is my collection of recipes, all made quickly the night before (either as lunch or as dinner with leftovers that can be taken in).  Happy eating.

Sunday 19 October 2008

Mediterranean rice salad

I almost always have some sort of grain lurking in the fridge.  Whether it's leftover rice from dinner, extra couscous, buckwheat, or some pasta spirals that couldn't quite fit onto our plates, these can form the basis of a filling salad.  I love using the nuttier grains like brown rice, which absorbs the flavors around it as it sits in the fridge.  Brown rice also holds its texture well, and fills you up without causing an energy spike.  The post-lunch snooze is all too inevitable without inviting it on.

1/2 C. cooked brown rice
1 tomato, chopped
1 T. small capers, rinsed
1/4 C. Kalmata olives, halved 
1/2 C. cannellini beans
1/2 - 1 C. chopped fresh spinach
1 T. olive oil
1 Tsp. sherry vinegar, or to taste
salt and pepper

Mix oil and vinegar, then stir through remaining ingredients.

Serves 1.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin