I love to cook and I love to eat good food.  Alas, the fact that I work 9-5 means that I can't do either as much as I would like, and like many I am often stuck at my desk during my lunch "hour".  My solution is to try to bring my lunch to work as much as I can.  This is my collection of recipes, all made quickly the night before (either as lunch or as dinner with leftovers that can be taken in).  Happy eating.

Sunday 4 April 2010

Moules marinieres





It was a beautiful spring weekend. The sun was shining, the trees finally burst into bud, and summer clothing was out in full force. The streets were thronged with people who took their first run of the season, and later in the day they were thronged with people who had their first blisters of the season.

Something in the air made me think of a day at the beach. Clean, sharp flavors and the ocean. I could get a lemon and bunch of parsley, then some mussels: steamed in some white wine and their own liquid.


Moules marinieres is a dish that looks gourmet and fancy, but really is the essence of quick and comfort cooking. If you can chop some garlic and an onion, you're most of the way there.



Starting out with these two as the foundation of the dish, you simply tip the cleaned mussels into your pot, pour in your wine, clap on the lid, and come back in 5 minutes to dinner. Don't forget to pour the other glass for yourself.



I had a beautiful bunch of parsley which looked so good I had to take a photo. Anyone know what to do with a ton of parsley?



So that was dinner on the first real weekend of spring. The year is flying by and summer will be coming soon, long sweltering days and stifling nights, months of not turning on the stove, but for now, the evening is perfect, and dinner is on the table.

Moules marinieres
2 lbs mussels, rinsed and cleaned
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 C. white wine (something more dry than fruity)
handful of Italian parsley
squeeze of lemon juice

Soften the onion and garlic in a little swirl of olive oil in a pot. When translucent, add the mussels and the wine (pour another for yourself), then cover the pot. After 5 minutes, the mussels should have opened and released their liquid. Throw in your parsley and give the lemon a good squeeze. Serve in bowls with bread to soak up the juice.

Serves 2

4 comments:

Velva said...

Yes, Spring has arrived finally. Your Moules marinieres looks very inviting for a Spring dinner or lunch. Very nice!

Reeni said...

The weather has been gorgeous here too. I wish I could say mmm to this - but I don't eat mussels. I see how much everyone loves them - hopefully I'll get up enough nerve someday to try them.

Chef Fresco said...

I was totally thinking of the beach this weekend too! I love this new great weather. Nice dish!

Nancy said...

I've been thinking lately that it has been way too long since I made mussels in white wine, and your post confirmed it. Must try this over the weekend! Great idea for the leftover mussels, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin