I love to cook and I love to eat good food.  Alas, the fact that I work 9-5 means that I can't do either as much as I would like, and like many I am often stuck at my desk during my lunch "hour".  My solution is to try to bring my lunch to work as much as I can.  This is my collection of recipes, all made quickly the night before (either as lunch or as dinner with leftovers that can be taken in).  Happy eating.

Wednesday 11 November 2009

Cauliflower with paprika, tomatoes and chickpeas



I saw this recipe for cauliflower with tomatoes and pimenton in the New York Times earlier this year and it has become one of my go-to recipes whenever I have any cauliflower on hand. The sweetness of the cauliflower, which melts into the rest of the dish as it softens, is perfectly complemented by the sweetness in the pimenton. The tomatoes lend some acidity to the dish and provide a base for the paprika. I love the smokiness of the paprika, so mix hot and sweet so I can up the flavor ante without burning my mouth.

The original recipe was pure vegetable, but I have taken to adding some chickpeas to make it a one-dish meal in and of itself. Below is my slightly amended, but filling and extremely satisfying version.

Cauliflower with paprika and chickpeas

1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed
1 T. olive oil
1 mild dried chile, optional
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 can chopped tomatoes plus juice
1 T. sweet paprika (or hot paprika, or a mix)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish, optional.

Chop cauliflower into florets, then place in a covered bowl with a spoonful of water and microwave until soft, about 5-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan and add onion and chile, if using. Cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and let soften, about 2 minutes, then add paprika.

Add tomato, chickpeas and cauliflower and cook, mashing cauliflower a bit, until cauliflower is coated with sauce and chickpeas are hot. Garnish.

Serves 2 as main dish.

12 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

LOVE the spice!

Jennie said...

This sounds lovely! The chickpeas are a great addition! Perfect!

The Duo Dishes said...

Cauli does not get enough love, which is a shame because it's really good! We're guilty of it too, so thanks for sharing another recipe.

Reeni said...

This looks so comforting! Kind of sweet and spicy - delicious!

Fresh Local and Best said...

This recipe looks so good and flavorful! I'll have to try it the next time I have cauliflower!

Art and Appetite said...

This would be a great dinner for a vegetarian. It looks soooooo good, specially that cauliflower is there--one of my favorites.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I would sure need this.

Chef Fresco said...

I never cook w. cauliflower for some reason. Love this recipe - very hearty!

Velva said...

No meat, vegetables and beans with a bit of spice kick. A perfect healthy lunch.

Lele said...

I have made almost this exact same dish using curry powder, and now MUST try it with paprika!

stephchows said...

oooo yum!!!! what a great flavor combo! I love paprika :)

theUngourmet said...

This does look delicious! I bet it smells terrific as well! :D

prashant said...

This sounds lovely! The chickpeas are a great addition! Perfect!
Make website india

Blog Widget by LinkWithin