I love to cook and I love to eat good food.  Alas, the fact that I work 9-5 means that I can't do either as much as I would like, and like many I am often stuck at my desk during my lunch "hour".  My solution is to try to bring my lunch to work as much as I can.  This is my collection of recipes, all made quickly the night before (either as lunch or as dinner with leftovers that can be taken in).  Happy eating.

Friday 7 August 2009

Pasta primavera


Pasta primavera means springtime pasta, but pasta estate doesn't sound quite so appetizing, if more seasonally appropriate. This is high summer pasta -- when the tomatoes start to burst open, the summer squash is in full swing, and you can smell a basil plant a mile away. Yes, and the living is easy: this dish can be made in 10 minutes, provided you can chop quickly enough.

The beauty of this particular recipe is that it is not really a recipe at all, but more of a suggested line of inquiry. Any vegetables will do, in any combination, and any quantities. Feta, goat's cheese, mozzarella -- the world is your oyster (am I mixing my foodie metaphors here?). And on a long, warm evening, watching the world slide into dusk, with a glass of a good pinot grigio from Orvieto, or a vernaccia from San Gimigniano, you couldn't ask for more flavor from less work.

Pasta primavera

1/2 lb pasta
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large or 2 small green onions
10-12 plum tomatoes
Handful peas or frozen soy beans
1 medium zucchini, cut into batons
2-4 Tbsp. Fresh basil, chiffonade
crumbled feta

Cook pasta according to instructions. While pasta is cooking, saute garlic in a little olive oil in a large skillet. Add zucchini and cook until soft, but still crisp. Add peas and green onions, then heat tomatoes through for just a minute. Once pasta is drained, mix with vegetables, basil and feta.

Serves 2

10 comments:

Sachi's Kitchen said...

This looks so summery! We tried your mother's galette recipe and it was AMAZING. Thanks for posting :)

Sarah Glova said...

I had no idea primavera was considered a spring pasta! But I agree-- definitely looks summery here... summery delish! And I love your mixed food metaphors here! haha :)

lisaiscooking said...

I love creating various types of pasta primavera! Yours look delicious with the basil and feta.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A healthy and very tasty pasta dish! Wonderful!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

What a nice light meal...and super healthy too. Love that you put in the soy beans! :-)

KennyT said...

This is something I'd die for, lovely!

Reeni said...

You make it sound so romantic! It's simple and so delicious!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Beautiful, healthy and easy. You really couldn't ask for more could you? :)

Ashley said...

I love quick, tasty and healthy meals like this - yum!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I cook like your described, the recipe not being a recipe but a suggestion. That is how I clean my fridge. Sometimes, the results are better than if I had followed as presented. This looks good.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin