I love to cook and I love to eat good food.  Alas, the fact that I work 9-5 means that I can't do either as much as I would like, and like many I am often stuck at my desk during my lunch "hour".  My solution is to try to bring my lunch to work as much as I can.  This is my collection of recipes, all made quickly the night before (either as lunch or as dinner with leftovers that can be taken in).  Happy eating.

Thursday 1 January 2009

Linguine with tuna and greens


Admitting you have a problem is the first step to getting help, so here goes:  I'm a canaholic.  I know we're not supposed to use canned beans, canned tomatoes, or other things that we should be buying, canning, and boiling in bulk ourselves, but I just can't give up the habit.  My shelf is stacked high with all varieties of beans, chopped tomatoes, whole tomatoes, anchovies, sardines, and, my favorite staple, tuna.  This is not your grandmother's tuna casserole tuna.  These is not the water packed, shreds of tuna you may have used for tuna sandwiches in the dining hall.  Bumblebee tuna -- though it may have its place in the annals of food history, nestled between cream of mushroom soup and breadcrumbs -- I could probably give up cold turkey.  But quality, Italian style, olive oil packed tuna: I just can't quit it.

This is a great weeknight meal which (I think) sounds pretty good, but tastes even better.  Quick, easy, and made from ingredients which I usually have on my shelf.  Any time the craving strikes, I'm good to go.

1 lb. linguine
1/3 C. olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
big pinch red pepper flakes
7oz./200g can good quality tuna in olive oil
4 C. (or more) arugula or other leafy green
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan (optional)
Wedge of lemon (not optional)

Cook pasta in salted, boiling water. While pasta cooks, heat olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes over low heat until garlic is fragrant and soft.

Add tuna and break it up as you stir it around. Season with salt to taste.

Drain pasta, reserving 1 C. pasta water. Return pasta to pan and stir in arugula over medium heat until wilted. Add tuna mixture to pasta, adding pasta water as necessary to thin the sauce and moisten the pasta.

Serve with parmesan if desired, and a good squeeze of lemon -- mandatory.

Serves 4-6.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin